"Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer" - Anonymous
When adventure awaits, it’s best to be prepared. We’re experts in travelling to Gorongosa for a Mozambique safari, so here's a list of some of the things we recommend you bring on your trip:
When selecting your safari wardrobe, keep in mind the following: light clothing, neutral colors and protection from sun and mosquitoes. Neutral colors are nice to wear in order to blend into the bush.
- Light clothing (shorts, t-shirts) for warm afternoons
- Warm clothing (long sleeved shirts, sweatshirts, pants) for cool evenings
- Hiking boots and long socks
- Camera / Video Camera
- Water bottle
- Guide books & animal checklists
Travel & Medical Supplies
- Passport & Visa
- Additional piece of identification, such as driver’s license
- Photocopy of passport & visa kept in a separate place
- Vaccination records
- Travel Insurance
- TSA approved luggage locks
- Plug adapters
- Anti-malarial medication
- Other medications (e.g. prescriptions)
- Insect repellent*
Recommendations for insect repellent:
- The most effective insect repellent is DEET and repellent with 10% is sufficient.
- Repellents with the active ingredient IR3535 is effective for mosquitoes but won't protect against biting flies.
- Permethrin impregnated clothing and bed nets are also very effective.
*Note: If you plan to pay with US cash in Gorongosa, all bills must be dated 2008 or later. Due to restrictions by the Mozambican banking system, Gorongosa will not accept US currency older than 2008.
Be sure to check your airline’s luggage allowances before you pack. And keep in mind that there may be different allowances for international and domestic flights. We recommend that you lock your luggage with a TSA approved lock.