Sign up to learn more, visit and buy our coffee

You are here

Visas & Customs

Passport & Visa

To enter Mozambique, you’ll need a passport that is valid for at least 6 months from your date of arrival and have at least 3 unstamped passport pages. You also must carry your vaccination records that show that you have been vaccinated for yellow fever if you are a traveler coming from a yellow fever zone.


Tourist visas are also required for everyone except citizens of South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Malawi, Mauritius, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Botswana. You must get a tourist visa in advance from the Mozambique embassy or consulate in your home country. You may be asked to provide a letter from Gorongosa National Park stating that they are expecting you. If you need this letter, don’t hesitate to contact us. Usually an address is requested on arrival or when applying for a visa. Please use the following address: Gorongosa National Park, Sofala Province, Mozambique 



When you arrive, you must declare all items that are subject to duties. Personal items and medication for personal use are exempt from duties. You are allowed to import goods to Mozambique duty free up to a value of $200 with the following restrictions on perfume, tobacco, and alcohol.

  • Tobacco: 400 cigarettes or 100 small cigars or 50 large cigars or 250g of tobacco
  • Alcohol: 1 liter of spirits and 2.25 liters of wine
  • Perfume: 50ml

As you pass through the airport customs line with your luggage, customs will usually check every bag, but don’t worry. You have every right as a tourist to temporarily import most goods into the country. Gorongosa National Park has a very good relationship with the officials at the airport, so mention that you are coming to Gorongosa and they will usually let you through without a hassle.


Travel through South Africa with Children

There are new regulations for travel to and from South Africa with children, effective October 1, 2014. Parents travelling internationally with children must now provide an unabridged birth certificate (including the details of the child's father as well as the mother) of all travelling children. This applies even when both parents are travelling with their children and it also applies to foreigners and South Africans alike. 


When children are travelling with guardians, these adults are required to produce affidavits from parents proving permission for the children to travel.   It is important for parents to note that unabridged birth certificate applications can take anything from six to eight weeks to complete.