Position Description—Senior Manager of Health. Reporting to: Director of Human Development.
Summary - The Gorongosa Project is seeking a proven leader with experience in the Mozambican health care system.
Objective - The Gorongosa Project co-manages Gorongosa National Park with the Government of Mozambique. We also help the Government to implement human development programs in the buffer zone of the Park-- an area of about 600,000 hectares and 200,000 people. We support farmers, we support the health care system, and we work in primary schools and high schools.
The Health Sector implements several programs which strengthen health systems, improve maternal and child well-being, and support water, sanitation, and hygiene (WaSH) in rural communities, including:
- Mobile Brigades
- Agentes Polivalentes Elementares
- Maternal & Child Community Health Workers (Traditional Birth Attendants & Model Moms)
- WaSH infrastructure projects in schools and health facilities, including borehole management, latrine construction and rehabilitation, community WaSH committees, and more
- Community-led Total Sanitation initiatives
You will lead dozens of staff members to implement programs focused on improving the quality, efficiency, and utilization of primary health care services and rural WaSH. You will be responsible for planning, implementing, and managing programs that are innovative, evidence-based, and linked to integrated conservation and development.
As a key member of the Human Development Department leadership team, you will provide programmatic and operational leadership for the entire Health Sector.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and oversee Health Sector budget, resources and assets, ensure financial controls and cost-effectiveness. Provide impact measurement of health programs
- Work with the Department Director to oversee all operations under the Health Sector, including procurement, transportation logistics, and strategic planning
- Coordinate with local government to improve planning coordination and budget alignment with the district and provincial development plans
- Take a leading role in advancing the profile, positioning and advocacy of the Health Sector, networking with key stakeholders, partners and donors
- Ensure staff is continuously engaged and aligned with Gorongosa Project strategic directions and plans.
- Travel to project field locations to provide implementation support
Qualities of the successful candidate. You will have extensive experience leading public health initiatives in rural Mozambique, in addition to:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in public health, human nutrition, WaSH, or related field required; Master’s Degree in Public Health strongly preferred
- At least five years of professional experience managing public health programs and leading large and complex teams, preferably in rural communities in central Mozambique
- Extensive knowledge of the Mozambican health sector and community-based primary health care in rural Mozambique, particularly with regard to gender inequities
- Proven track record in program design and implementation, preferably at the provincial or national level; Experience developing and leading trainings strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to lead financial management of large budgets, including preparing financial projections, general financial management and reporting; proficiency in Microsoft Excel required
- Experience developing and managing partnerships with district and/or provincial government entities, ideally in the health sector
- Ability to design and implement monitoring and evaluation concepts; experience using Dimagi CommCare software strongly preferred
- Highly organized and efficient; able to prioritize work based on minimal direction and multiple opposing priorities; comfortable working in a dynamic, multi-cultural environment
- English and Portuguese fluency required; Sena language skills strongly preferred
Terms. The Senior Manager of Health for the Gorongosa Project will live in Gorongosa Park up to ten months per year. The Park will provide housing and subsidized meals. You will earn a salary commensurate with your experience and proven ability. Interested applicants should send a CV and Cover Letter to the the President of The Gorongosa Project Greg Carr at [email protected]